Celebrate the Fall season with a fun scarecrow craft for kids! Teach preschoolers and kindergartners the importance of scarecrows and then make a handprint scarecrow with fingerprint corn. This would also be cute to go along with a Wizard of Oz theme.
Handprint Scarecrow Craft Supplies
- 12 x 12 white cardstock
- Brown construction paper
- Paint: green, yellow, blue, red, brown and white
- Glue stick
- Markers: Green, yellow, blue, orange and black (fine tip)
How to make the Scarecrow Handprint Art Project
1. Start by making the scarecrow handprint on the white cardstock. To do this paint the whole hand green except for the middle finger and the palm under the middle finger. Paint that space like a scarecrow with the palm blue for the pants, then red for the shirt, mix a little brown with white to create a skin color, and then paint the tip of finger brown to create the scarecrow's hat. Press down in the middle of the page near the bottom edge.
2. Next paint the pinky and index fingers with green again, then make two prints on both sides of the scarecrow. These create corn stalks. Allow time for this to dry.
3. Now, make yellow fingerprints on the green fingers to turn them into corn stalks.
4. While you wait for that to dry again, grab the brown construction paper to make the fence. Start by cutting a strip keeping in mind that the height of the piece will determine how tall the fence is, make sure to keep it short enough so it doesn’t cover up your scarecrow's face. Once cut, fold the brown strip accordion style.
5. Next, draw a fence pattern to follow. This is simply a large vertical rectangle with a triangle tip followed by a skinny horizontal rectangle (just above center of the vertical rectangle). Cut out the shape, keeping it uncut on the folded edge.
Unfold to see the paper fence!
6. Now the paint should be dry, use the markers to draw a cute face onto the scarecrow along with straw hair.
7. Then use the green marker to draw two ovals on each side of the yellow fingerprints to make them look like the husks of the corn.
8. Next glue the fence onto the cardstock. Typically, construction paper is slightly wider than the 12 x 12 cardstock so the fence will be a little longer. Glue the ends only to create a fun 3D effect.
9. Finish the handprint scarecrow art scene by drawing a sun and a few clouds.
This handprint scarecrow craft would be cute to make along with the following seasonal Fall craft ideas: Thanksgiving Turkey with Fall Tree Handprint Art, Thumbprint Acorn Craft, and Fingerprint Leaves Silhouette Art Project.