My toddler and I made a super cute handprint craft for his dad - a Father's Day fish card. We have included printable fish puns to use on your own homemade cards. Dads are sure to love how creative and fun the handprint fish card is! *Originally published 6/7/2009 and updated on 5/27/2020.
Fish Handprint Card Supplies
- Fish Card Sayings PDF
- Blue cardstock or construction paper
- Kids paint
- Googly Eyes
See more handprint and footprint card ideas.
Father's Day Fish Card Craft
1. Fold a piece of blue construction paper or cardstock in half.
2. Pick the colors you would like to use for your fish. You could make one fish or two depending on the size of the child’s hand.
3. If using more than one color: paint the face, stripes on the tail, and the body all at once - then press the hand down on the center of the card. See this post for examples → handprint fish designs. Alternatively, paint the fish as one color and add designs once dry or make a multi colored fish like this butterfly handprint craft.
4. Paint a fingertip white to make the fingerprint bubbles.
5. Paint on squiggly seaweed. You could also paint just the fingers and make prints along the bottom.
6. When dry, draw on the face and add googly eyes.
7. Cut out the printable Father’s Day fish pun and glue on the front and even the inside if you’d like. To dress it up a little, glue the fish sayings to colored construction paper first and then cut out to make a framed border around each fish pun.
8. Write a Happy Father's Day note on the inside.
Printable Fish Puns for Cards
- You’re Fin-tastic
- O-Fish-Ally the Best!
- Reel-ly Awesome
This handprint fish card for Father's Day is perfect for dads who enjoy fishing as a hobby. For other themed card ideas for dads, check out these Father’s Day Printable Crafts. You may also enjoy this list of must make Father’s Day gift ideas using handprints.