Here’s an absolutely precious Daddy & Me keepsake, “There’s Alway Love in Dad’s Hands” canvas art. It’s inspired by the country song, “Daddy’s Hands” by Holly Dunn. Even if you’re not a country music fan or familiar with the song, it still makes the sweetest saying to put on a Father’s Day canvas art made especially for Dad. You could also change it to Grandpa, Mommy, Papa and so on to fit other special people who you would like to make something handmade for.
There’s Always Love in Daddy’s Hands Father’s Day Canvas Art Tutorial
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure policy here.
- Watercolors; blue and white
- Acrylic Paint; white and red
- Foam Paint Roller; optional
1. To paint the background, I used two shades of blue mixed with a little white. If not mixing with white, make sure to add lots of water to the brush as you move further down the canvas. You can use any color combination that you like.
2. Use a foam roller to apply white acrylic paint to dad’s hands and have him leave his handprints in the middle of the canvas. We tried getting a better print by going over it again but had to start over, so make sure the paint is on really thick the first time. Place the hands in a heart-shape like shown in the photo or just make regular prints.
*Tip: add a little water to the acrylic paint or go back over the painted hand with water (on a paintbrush) before pressing it down.
3. Repeat with child’s handprints. It’s really helpful to have the help of another adult for this step! Let dry.
4. Lightly trace the words using a pencil, ‘There’s Always Love in Daddy’s Hands’ or another cute Father’s Day saying. If you make a mistake, it can be gently erased.
5. Paint over the pencil with a fine tip paintbrush and you’re done! Alternatively, you could use a paint pen or a permanent marker. If using the marker, make sure it’s 100% dry before writing on it.
Besides changing the word Daddy, you can also adapt this Father’s Day canvas art in other ways. The saying, “There’s Always Love in Daddy’s Heart” can be written inside a heart-shape instead whether painted or cut from cardstock. If there are several children, place one handprint from each child and one from Dad with a heart sticker inside the palm.
For another Father’s Day canvas art idea, head over to this handprint fish toddler painting craft.