We have been busy doing outer space crafts lately and in my search for things to do, I saw this really cool footprint rocket from That's Adorable. My 3 year old son was standing next to make and asked if we could please make it. This is my version that was inspired by hers, please check out her adorable footprint rocket as well as it is somewhat different from ours.
Footprint Rocket Tutorial
- construction paper
- printed photos
- spray bottle
1) I put diluted white paint in a spray bottle and my little guy sprayed it over black paper. To do this, I put the black paper on top of a piece of newspaper placed on the floor and gave him a stool to stand on. Make sure it is spraying in a mist instead of a line.
2) Place a footprint in the middle of the paper slightly more towards the top. We made one white one and one red one.
3) Paint a triangle over the heel and one on each side like shown in the photos.We made red triangles on the white rocket and blue triangles on the red rocket.
4) Make black dots with either a marker or paint inside the footprint. I made the line of dots equal to the length of each triangle.
5) Print and cut out a cute face of the child into a circle shape. 1 to 3 faces would look good. These create windows for your rocket. He chose to have his baby sister go to outer space with him.
6) Paint on flames underneath the toes.
Variation: If you didn't want to put faces in, you could paint the windows on instead.
I outlined the triangles with black marker, write something like "3-2-1 Blast off!", add stars or planets in the background, have the child decorate the rocket however they want give the rocket a name and write it just above the toes.
Check out this outer space discovery bottle for another out-of-this-world crafty activity!
so cool, have to try this!
maggy, red ted art says
Chuckle! The best space project to date! This is brilliant and fun. LOVE the feet and love the photos! Thank you as always for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Maggy
Erica @ Doodles & Doilies says
Super cute! I have been looking for cute hand & footprint art! I am glad I found your website. I am a NEW follower, visiting from Fireflies and Jellybeans blog hop. Hope you have a chance to stop by.
Really neat! I love all these hand and footprint crafts. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Love your blog! We enjoy trying things from here (and creating our own hand and footprint things:)Thanks for sharing, Kristina
How awesome is that!?! Love it. Sharing on Facebook.Thanks so much for linking up.
maryanne @ mama smiles says
This is so cute!
Jamie @ hands on : as we grow says
I LOVE how your personalized this with their faces! That's a pretty awesome rocket! I'm featuring this on It's Playtime this week 🙂