What's your favorite kind of handmade ornaments to make with the kids? Salt dough ornaments are popular around Christmas. There are so many ways to turn them into something memorable for years to come. Not only will it be fun to hang on the tree every year, you will always be able to look back and remember the time spent together making them. It has been a fun tradition in our home since Big Brother was a toddler. Today we are sharing a darling mistletoe footprint ornament made with salt dough. The recipe is easy and you most likely have the ingredients on hand.
How to make Mistletoe Footprint Ornament
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup salt
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 drop Evergreen Oil (optional)
- rolling pin (or use a cup)
- butter knife
- wax paper
- craft paints
Salt Dough Recipe Instructions:
1. Mix together the flour, salt, water and evergreen oil into a bowl until a dough forms.
2. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a ball.
3. Separate into 2 pieces and roll out with a rolling pin or cup until about ½ inch thick.
4. Print both of your baby's feet , one on each piece.
5. Trim around the edge of each foot, leaving a thin border.
6. Carefully place each foot onto wax paper, slightly overlapping at the heel. Press lightly so they stick together.
7. Using the dough you trimmed from around the footprint, roll into small balls and flatten into 3 circles to create the berries.
8. Use a sharp instrument to poke a hole in the berry for hanging.
9. Place them in a "berry" pattern on top of the heels (refer to photo).
10. Place on wax paper and microwave on low (if you can change the setting, if not it is ok) for 20 seconds. Microwave for 20 seconds at a time until the dough appears to be dried out and harden.
11. Brush the whole ornament with white paint, allow to dry. (This will help enhance the color of each paint, since the dough is beige, sometimes color can be lost).
12. Use black paint to outline the berries.
13. Use green paint in the footprint, heel and toes. Allow to dry.
14. Thread an ornament hook or string through the hole.
15. Hang up on the Christmas tree or carefully wrap in a gift box to give to someone special!
More Salt Dough Ornaments
Besides this darling mistletoe footprint ornament, check out these salt dough ideas found on our blogs:
- Rainbow Fish Ornament Craft
- Salt Dough Footprint Reindeer Ornaments
- Salt Dough Mitten Ornament Keepsake
- Salt Dough Tree Hand Impression