Oh my goodness! This is a darling keepsake craft that you will enjoy making to remember your little ones when they were young. Using salt dough to make a hand impression is a simple way to preserve your child’s handprint and even have them display in their own home one day. In this post, we will share with you how to make a salt dough turkey handprint keepsake with your little one this Thanksgiving season.
See also: Thankful Turkey Hands
Salt Dough Turkey Craft
*As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- rolling pin
- wax paper
- craft paints (I used acrylic)
1. Combine flour, salt, and water to form the dough. Sprinkle some flour on the wax paper and roll out to approximately 1/2 inch thickness.
2. Have your child spread fingers apart and help them make an impression in the dough.
3. Place the print on a cookie sheet and bake on low, 200° for about an hour.
4. When dry, paint the entire surface white, then paint the thumb and palm brown. Paint each finger a different color. Paint eyes and feet, and your done!
I ended up using black and white puffy paint for the eyes and orange for the legs, but regular paint would work too.
Super cute, right? If you make a salt dough turkey handprint keepsake with your little ones, we would love for you to tag on on Instagram (@artsymomma_amanda) or share it with us on our Facebook page.