Oh my goodness! This is a darling keepsake craft that you will enjoy making to remember your little ones when they were young. Using salt dough to make a hand impression is a simple way to preserve your child's handprint and even have them display in their own home one day. In this post, we will share with you how to make a salt dough turkey handprint keepsake with your little one this Thanksgiving season.
See also: Thankful Turkey Hands
Salt Dough Turkey Craft
*As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup salt
- ½ cup warm water
- rolling pin
- wax paper
- craft paints (I used acrylic)
1. Combine flour, salt, and water to form the dough. Sprinkle some flour on the wax paper and roll out to approximately ½ inch thickness.
2. Have your child spread fingers apart and help them make an impression in the dough.
3. Place the print on a cookie sheet and bake on low, 200° for about an hour.
4. When dry, paint the entire surface white, then paint the thumb and palm brown. Paint each finger a different color. Paint eyes and feet, and your done!
I ended up using black and white puffy paint for the eyes and orange for the legs, but regular paint would work too.
Super cute, right? If you make a salt dough turkey handprint keepsake with your little ones, we would love for you to tag on on Instagram (@artsymomma_amanda) or share it with us on our Facebook page.
For another cute salt dough craft, you might enjoy this mitten handprint ornament keepsake and these salt dough ornaments inspired by The Rainbow Fish.