The first and last day of school is such an exciting time for elementary ages. Lots of families do first and last day photo memories, interviews, and handprint keepsakes. Today we are sharing a fun template that is a great way to document heading back to school (or their last day in a certain grade). Kids will make a traced paper cutout of their hand to use with the free printable first and last day of school signs.
This handprint school keepsake is different from others because instead of making a printed handprint, kids will cut their traced hand from paper and then glue it to the template. However, instead of just gluing it on as is, kids will place it on so the fingers are holding up the number that corresponded with the grade they are in. So 1 finger for first grade, 2 for second, 3 for third, and so on.
– White cardstock
– Red cardstock or construction paper
– Black marker
– Glue stick
→ Get the Printable School Sign Templates HERE
Instructions for First and Last Day of School Signs
1. First print the template on the white cardstock.
2. Now use the scissors to trim around the border. The finished school sign keepsakes will be 8” by 10” so it will fit in a standard picture frame making it perfect to place with those first day of school pictures or the ones taken at school.
3. Next, trace around the child’s hand with the pencil on the red cardstock and cut it out. Construction paper will work as well. The child can even choose his or her favorite color!
4. Then glue down the fingers so the hand shows what grade they are starting. In this example, I glued down the thumb and pinkie to show the number 3. (eek! My daughter will be starting third grade this year!)
You’ll need to push and hold each finger for a couple seconds so it really sticks.
→ Crafting Tip: You can use clothespins to hold the fingers in place while the glue dries a little.
5. Finally, glue the entire hand to the template. Finish it off by writing “RD” so it reads “Third” grade. Or whichever superscript makes sense for your grade number.
The first day of school sign craft is complete. Save the file or Pin the image so you can do the craft again for the last day of school!
For children younger than first grade, check out our o’FISH-ally a preschooler or kindergartner keepsake (also includes templates).. We also have a fun shoe print craft that’s perfect for heading off to school.